Progression in working scientifically skills
This document shows how the working scientifically statements from the science National Curriculum for England are linked and built on across the three phases. To highlight the links, the skills statements are grouped under the following broader skills definitions.
- Asking questions and recognising that they can be answered in different ways
- Making observations and taking measurements
- Engaging in practical enquiry to answer questions
- Recording and presenting evidence
- Answering questions and concluding
- Evaluating and raising further questions and predictions
- Communicating their findings.
The working scientifically statements from the science National Curriculum for England are presented in bold. The bullet points that follow each statement are additional guidance that clarifies the expectations.
Working scientifically statements that feature in more than one of the broader skills definitions are shown in italics.